If you ask any cook, that what annoys him the most in the kitchen, then probably the most common answer you will get, is a dull knife.
A dull knife not only extends the period of cooking but also takes a lot of effort while cutting any food item.
Also, it is the most dangerous tool, even more than a sharp knife as it can cause unwanted accidents any moment.
Usually, while putting pressure on the knife to cut a vegetable or meat, the knife tends to slip because of its blunt edges.
That is why keeping the knife in a good condition is mandatory, which is why I am here to answer your question, ‘how to use a knife sharpener?’
It is very common that people often get confused while sharpening a knife as it needs to be done in a methodic approach otherwise can result into an unusable knife.
Why Do You Need To Use A Knife Sharpening Tool?
Other than keeping yourself safe from any accident, another reason to sharp your blade frequently is that the edges start to bend if the knife is not sharpened for a longer period.
Then the bent edges will be very difficult to recover and bring back into its correct alignment.
This is the reason why you need to sharp your knife on a frequent basis.
How To Use An Electric Knife Sharpener?
Electric Knife Sharpeners are the most efficient kit to sharpen your dull knives or for honing them regularly.
Sharpening, polishing, and reshaping of knives become easier with this knife sharpener tool.
This knife sharpener kit has 3 varying levels of sharpening your knife.
The first level is for sharpening very dull knives, the second is for medium knives and the last one is for resharpening.
If you use the final slot regularly then it almost eliminates the necessity of using the first two slots.
Process Of Sharpening The Knife With Electric Knife Sharpener:
The best way to sharpen a knife is to use an Electric knife sharpener. Follow the below steps to sharpen a knife in an electric sharpener.
- Switch On The Machine: Usually the Electric Knife Sharpener comes with an on-off switch. At first switch the on-off button to connect the knife sharpener with electricity.
- Place The Knife In Any Of The Levels: The knife sharpeners that run by electric motors generally have two slots in each level to sharp the blade of the knife. Now according to your requirements choose any one level and place the heel of the knife on the left hand side slot. While placing make sure the heel must me touching the grinding stone if any case it is not then put pressure on the knife and place the blade while touching the stone.
- Slide The Knife Carefully: When you are sure that the heel of the blade has in contact with the grinding stone, now it’s time for sliding the knife through the slot. While sliding, bring the knife towards you, slowly and keep the handle lifted slightly as you approach the tip. Generally, the angle of the blade should be at 15 or 20 degrees but the electric sharpener will automatically help you to keep the angle right.
- Slide Through The Right Side Slot: After sliding the blade on the other side of the level, you need to slide the knife on the other side also while following the same method. As electric knife sharpeners are very easy to use and have efficient working capabilities, only 2 times sliding on each side will complete the job.
- Use The Next Levels: If you are using a very dull blade to sharp then it is recommended to start with the coarsest grinding stone then slowly moving on to the finest one. So after using the first level, repeat the same method for sharpening on the next two levels.
- Lastly Rinsing And Drying The Knife: The last step is to rinse your knives properly and dry it with a towel to keep them in good condition.
How To Sharpen A Serrated Knife?
Any kind of vegetable knives, meat cutting knives, pocket knives or serrated knives all can be sharpened by using the Electric Knife sharpener in same way.
How To Use A Sharpening Stone Or A Honing Steel To Resharpen A Knife Regularly?
The most frequently used knife sharpening tool is a honing steel or a sharpening stone. It suits everyone’s budget though using this steel to resharpen knives need effort and correct technique.
A sharpening stone is usually rectangular in shape and can be found in different forms from coarse to fine according to your requirements.
For regular maintenance of kitchen knives, honing steels or sharpening stones can be easily availed from the market.
You can perform honing of your knife correctly through the below steps:
- First put your honing steel vertically on a kitchen towel or dishcloth on the top of the table while putting the sharp end pointed on the bottom.
- Now put your knife perpendicularly forming 45 degree angle with the middle point of the honing steel.
- After that slide the knife along the length of the honing steel forming 22 degrees approximately while pretending, you are cutting a slice from the steel.
- While sliding pull the knife towards you until the honing steel touches the tip.
- Repeat five times on each side of the honing steel.
- Then repeat two times on both the sides.
- Now you can feel the sharpened edges of the blade just by looking.
Honing the blade of the knife, each time you use, is essential to keep the blade in a good condition for a longer period of time.
Also setting the degree while honing is crucial because most of the western knives have blades which molded 20 degrees off of vertical on both sides.
In the case of using a sharpening stone, the angle is again important, just the method will differ.
Knowing the correct procedures and techniques related to the question ‘how to use a knife sharpener?’ is very much essential for every kitchen owners.
Only the cooks will know how difficult and annoying it is to use a blunt tool. Using a sharpener stone or honing steel is the most affordable way to keep your blade at its best working state.
But the truth is once in a while your knife really needs professional sharpening and this task can only be fulfilled by an electric knife sharpener.
As this kit will proof cost-effective in long term basis and also it takes very little effort to sharp all your blunt knives , in a minimum period of time.