Are you sure that you are using your top meat slicer in the right way?
And proper safety measures are being taken during the usage?
Equipment like meat slicers are must be used with special care. And here by saying special care, I am referring to your safety.
Many incidents and health hazards have been already documented which took place because of violating the general safety terms.
You can read one such incident here.
The sharp blade of the meat slicer is a furious thing and can become your worst nightmare if you fail to follow the simple safety tips.
So make sure you do not miss out any part of this article.
For your easiness, I have segmented the safety guidelines in Dos and Don’ts.
How To Avoid Meat Slicer Accidents!
- Before switching on the meat slicer make sure your kids and pets are at a safe distance from the work place.
- Always put the slicer in a flat and strong surface so that you can avoid any accident related to slipping of the meat slicer.
- It is preferable to put your slicer in the manual mode.
- Wear cut resistant gloves while using the meat slicer.
- Plug in the meat slicer and then adjust the thickness by using the thickness adjustment knob.
- Each time use the weight handle to put pressure on the food that you want to slice.
- Use the diagonal plate and adjust it to hold the food in the place as the plate runs the length of the food.
- Now when you are ready to slice the food, ensure the black lever is in manual and the speed knob is in the low speed mode.
- First start with the manual mode to slice the meat, so use the weight handle back and forth to start slicing.
- Then use the automatic slicing mode but keep the speed lower as before.
- Use the start and stop button to stop automatic slicing anytime.
After using the slicer for a couple of days and becoming experienced you can use the faster speed.
- When you are done using the meat slicer, reset all the modes. Change the speed to low and automatic to manual.
- Also, adjust the thickness to zero.
- Now turn off the machine and unplug it.
- Let your slicer cool down.
- Use warm soapy water and sponge the meat slicer.
- Clean thoroughly with a wet towel.
- Now soak the water with a dry towel.
- Use a sanitizer to secure the slicer from bacteria and other germs.
The last step is essential for keeping your food safe from contamination.
- Do not use your bare hands to put pressure on the food which is going to be sliced.
- Do not run the slicer while in an automatic mode or faster speed mode.
- Do not use your naked hands to stop the food from being sliced, if it is in automatic mode and at the faster speed.
- Do not run your food with plastic covers as it the plastic may harm the motor and any time your slicer can catch fire.
- Do not touch the blade with your hands.
- Do not shut down the machine in automatic mode or at the faster speed, instead, change the settings to manual and lower speed.
- Additionally, do not keep the thickness knob anywhere other than zero.
- Do not touch the slicer immediately after unplugging.
- Do not clean the machine while plugged in, even if the slicer is off.
Bottom line: If you obey these general safety tips then accidents or injuries are unlikely to happen. Some other safety tips include do not keep the working area near the meat slicer messy or divert your mind to something else while caring or using the meat slicer.