Being Safe Is Better Than Being Sorry!
A common quote of 7 words but has a deeper meaning which can save many lives if obeyed.
I am definitely not saying that a meat grinder can take your life, but at least can hurt you if certain precautions are not taken.
Electronic appliances always come with safety manuals, but we hardly read it. Unless and until we get affected it does not ring any bell for us.
We seriously need to change this attitude and exercise extra safety measures while using an electric meat grinder.
If you are thinking I am just saying garbage then may be an alarming incident can change your thought. Read this recent news where an electric meat grinder has almost taken a man’s life.
But, if you are convinced and want to know the safety precautions while grinding through a meat grinder then let’s get started.
Safety Measures While Installing A Meat Grinder:
Starting from the installation to cleaning the grinder, safety measures should be taken accordingly or it may lead to accident and injury.
- After the arrival of the meat grinder, all packaging material and tape must be removed. Plastic packages will caught fire if you use the grinder with them.
- If there is any glue residue left over from the removed plastic or tape, then clean them too.
- Disassemble the grinder and wash each part thoroughly with water before use, it will keep you safe from health hazards.
- Now after assembling keep the grinder in a place where the feet can adjust appropriately.
- At the time of power supply, incorrect power can damage the unit and cause dangerous injuries, so make sure the grinder is plugged into a properly grounded electric supply according to the label.
Safety Measures While Using A Meat Grinder:
Using the grinder properly is the most crucial part. So make sure you are following each of the below to avoid injury.
- Always before starting the grinding process check if the thumbscrew is tightened enough counter-clockwise, also do not over-tighten.
- Also, do not forget to tighten the grinding head against the grinding plate as loosely attached unit may lead to several accidents.
- Read the manual of the grinder and see if it is capable of grinding bones or not, as grinding bones or hard meat in a low motor powered grinder may lead the motor to overheat and eventually burst.
- Meat pieces are should be according to the size chart of the grinder.
- Make sure the meat tray is securely assembled with the grinding head feeding tube, otherwise any accident can occur.
- Always use the food or meat pusher provided with the meat grinder.
- At first feed the food or meat slowly into the grinder, so that the grinder can work effectively.
- Remember to disconnect the grinder after use from the power supply.
- Do not run the grinder unattended.
Important Precautions To Take While Using A Meat Grinder:
Never Use Your Fingers To Feed The Food:
This is the most important precaution that you should take while grinding meat or food in your food processor.
Often we have a tendency to feed the food with our hands in spite of having the food pusher or stomper, in the grinder.
This can lead to serious health injury. If accidentally your finger slips into the running auger while pushing the food, you may lose your fingers.
So always avoid such tendency instead use the pusher.
Know The Limits Of Your Grinder:
Not all grinders have the same capacity or working procedure. So knowing your grinder’s limit should be your first criteria.
There are grinders which can be used for grinding frozen meat, where other grinders can grind bones.
But in case your grinder is not capable of grinding bones or grinding a large amount of meat at a time then you should work accordingly.
Using the grinder without knowing its limit can cost you a lot.
Protect The Grinders Motor:
The electric motor ensures the smooth running of your grinder so protecting the motor is necessary.
Sometimes for giving the motor longevity the manufacturers pre-install condensed motor or safety device. But the grinders which do not bear such protection should be taken care. Otherwise, an accident can occur anytime.
If you feel that motor is overheated or run for a longer period of time then you can stop using the grinder for some time and let it cool down and then again use it.
Safety Measures To Take While Cleaning A Meat Grinder:
To keep yourself safe from electric shocks follow the below precautions while cleaning your meat grinder.
- After using the grinder turn off the switch and let it cool for some time and then disassemble it carefully.
- Now washing each of the parts separately with the hands is recommended as it will make the grinder durable.
- Soak the water properly.
- Use a dry towel to soak the water before using it or assembling it again.
- Make sure no more drop of water remains in the entire unit.
Exercising precautions while using a grinder may save you from serious injury or from death. Try to buckle up these measures in your everyday grinding routine and you can easily make the most out of your meat grinder.